Saturday, November 22, 2008

Well, I guess this why I am happy!

I recently decided to do away with television. Well, I actually kept my tv, but just use it to watch movies and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. The cost was too much, I am not home enough to watch tv and it gets me out of office talk about last night's episode of Dancing with The Stars.

Well, it turns out that happy people watch less tv and spend more time socializing and going out...this according to researchers at the University of Maryland. While the direction of the relationship is unclear (do people watch tv because they are unhappy or do does tv make people unhappy) I support the idea of less television and more television covers.


1 comment:

mentalslavery said...

As with everything the direction of the relationship is circular. Which is nice because you can decide to attach the problem at either end. I killed my tv and video games years ago after I read unreality industry. I felt pretty stupid. I had been spending my life, watching pixels bounce around on a screen, getting wrapped up in other people's lives, people who don't exist, so that a corporation can sell me crap. Now, whenever I hear people talk about contemporary shows that they "love so much" like "hero's" I think to myself, was the shit I watched really that stupid? What it better than the crap we have now? I find it hard to believe the tv captures people's attention. Reality is so much more entertaining and it has a refreshing element of reality to it.